Over the past week we’ve discussed five ways to write better ad texts to increase traffic to your site and target the right customers. You may notice that writing the best ad text possible can be quite overwhelming! To make it easier for you, we’ve devised a guide or checklist to writing the best ad text.
When beginning to write from scratch or re-write your existing ad text, go through the first 7 points of the ad text checklist. Get a piece of paper and begin writing down the answers to these seven questions:
- What are the top keywords from your ad group that should be incorporated into the ad?
- What is the main message you want your customers to know? What solution do you provide?
- What is the advantage your company has over your competitors? What are the top 3 benefits you offer your clients/customers?
- What promotional offers (if any) does your company currently offer?
- What would get you to click through this ad if typing in x keywords?
- What answer is the searcher trying to find? i.e. Are you fulfilling the searcher’s needs?
- In the end, why should the searcher click on your ad?
Once you’re finished answering the seven questions, you can begin to write your ad text. Once you’ve completed writing your ad text, use the checklist below to be sure you’ve written a benefit-oriented, attention-getting, call-to-action driven ad text!
- Does the ad title grab your audience’s attention?
- Does the title contain at least one of your keywords?
- Does the ad title initially answer a question?
- Does the ad title differ from your competitors?
- Does the description contain at least one keyword?
- Does the description answer the searchers question?
- Does the description engage users to read on?
- Does the description contain a call to action?
- Is the description limited in any way?
- Are there any promotional offers in the description?
- Is the description different from your competitors?
- Can the searcher tell the benefit from reading the description?
- Is the display url contain sentence caps?
- Does the display url match the destination url?
- Does the destination url take users to the correct page?
- Does the destination url need any tracking?
If you find it helps, use this guide and checklist every time you write or re-write your ad text to ensure you’re targeting the right customer and gaining a competitive advantage over your competition.