Getting Started With LinkedIn Ads – What You Need To Know
January 23, 2014
For January’s series post we are taking a look at our PPC wishlists. What tools do we all wish we had available to make our lives that much easier? Where do our chief frustrations stem from and what band-aid solutions are we using to fix them?
LinkedIn Ads can be a tricky beast wrangle due to the ‘self service’ set up of the platform but once you are up and running, it’s pretty easy to use and has seen great success in Business-to-Business Lead Gen Accounts. HubSpot did a study on 5,198 B2B and B2C business and mentions in blog post “LinkedIn 277% More Effective For Lead Generation Than Facebook & Twitter”
Even with the success seen for Lead Gen accounts, it’s not all puppies and kitties or this would not have made our “wishlist” series. In the words of a fellow PPCHero, Carrie Albright, during a recent webinar, the LinkedIn Advertising platform can be a bit “crunchy” to put it nicely. To help take some of the crunch out of it for fellow PPChero readers, I plan to breakdown the basics of getting started, LinkedIn Ads wishlist and the band-aid fix for the wishlist.
Start by signing up here. If you are managing LinkedIn Ads for a business, which 99% of the people are, you will need to create a “Business Account”. Creating a business account is a little tricking to find. It’s hidden under the drop down of your name in the top right hand side of your screen *see below. You’ll then need to search for the company name you will be managing. After selecting the company, you then agree that you are authorized to represent that company, blah, blah and all that good stuff.
Once you got the account set-up creating the ads is pretty easy. You just need to know your target demographic and decide if you are going to direct traffic back to LinkedIn company page, or to your website.
Things To Know:
- Minimum CpC of $2.00
- Minimum Daily Budget $10 or $300 per month
- Ad Targeting is at Campaign Level– Segmentation is key!
- Up to 15 Ads per campaign
- Targeting Options Include: Job title, job function, industry, geography, company size, company name, seniority, age, gender, LinkedIn group
- 10 Targets Per Campaign for: Geography, Industry, Job Function
- 100 targets per campaign for Company, Job Title, School, Skill, Group
- Ad Copy: Image: 50×50; Headline: 25 characters; Body: 75 characters
- CTR IS KEY!! CTR > .025% is considered “good”. If you have poor ctr, your ads will stop showing so always be optimizing.
- Start Bids high. Bid $1-$2 higher than suggested bids in the beginning to help increase CTR and then widdle them down.
- Test at least 3 ads and update at least once a month
LinkedIn Ads Wishlist
LinkedIn Ads are kind of the new kid on the block compared to other dinosaur PPC platforms such as AdWords, Bing or Facebook, and it needs some work to make it less “crunchy” for PPC, in my opinion. Below are a few items we would love to see the LinkedIn Fairies make happen in 2014.
Dear LinkedIn Fairies,
- Better Tracking! PPC = Love Data. Nuff Said. Actually, LinkedIn does now offer Goal tracking but you can only contact users directly in LinkedIn. Waa waa
- Mass Editor – AdWords, Bing and even Facebook has one. With importance of Ad Quality and CTR, having a mass editor to update lots of ads at once would be amazing.
- API Access – Allowing API access for 3rd party platforms would allow again for PPC advertisers to more easily update ad copy, amongst other features that can only be done through backend API systems.
- Better Customer Support – Unless you plan to be a premium advertiser or spend a boatload of money, the customer support is usually nothing more than a comment box and some help forums.
Well unfortunately I don’t have a band-aid fix for most of my wishlist items but the one I do (and in my opinion the most important one) is tracking.
The best work around way to help with tracking is to use a 3rd party analytics software such as Google Analytics or Omniture. Below are a few of the steps you need to take for the work around:
- Create a LinkedIn specific landing page
- Tag landing page URLs with tracking parameters. For Google Analytics you can use the URL Builder
- Segment and report away!
While I don’t exactly have a band- aid fix for having to spend less to get better service, I do have a Hot Tip mentioned in a recent webinar with Clix Marketing and Hanapin Marketing – Grab Attention Like A Champion: LinkedIn.
**Hot Tip: LinkedIn backfills ad space with GDN. If you aren’t sure if you want to jump on the LinkedIn bandwagon just yet, try targeting LinkedIn via AdWords on the GDN. I imagine you would see much better results via LinkedIn Premium Ads but it’s a way to test the waters before doing a giant cannon ball into the LinkedIn premium ad waters.
Let us know what areas of LinkedIn Ads you’ve seen success with or if you have any other “wishes” to add to our LinkedIn wishlist.
[New Webinar!] 11 Red Flags To Watch Out For When Working With An Agency
Leveraging Analytics For Remarketing: Picking The Ripest Fruit
Remarketing prevalence is well founded based on competitive returns in both volume and efficiency. With that said, this "low hanging fruit" world isn't always easy to pick.
How To Analyze Time-Of-Day Performance For Luxury Products
The importance of ad schedules varies across industries, services, and products. For e-commerce companies that sell luxury goods, ad schedules are more crucial.
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
One Week Left to Save 25% at Hero Conf London!
You still have time to join us for Hero Conf London, 24-26 October at etc.venues St Paul's at 25% off the conference price. But time is running out.
4 Common Questions Prospects Ask Me During The Sales Process
There’s always new, hot topics and questions we get asked by prospects to see what our company’s take is, and how we go about implementing from a services perspective. Read what our most common questions are.
Mobile Price Extensions Rolling Out In AdWords
It looks like "Christmas in July" has come to Google. Recently announced price extensions are designed to help mobile marketers qualify clicks and inform prospective consumers.
[New Whitepaper!] 4 Ways To Survive PPC Campaigns for the Healthcare Market...
This whitepaper will highlight four examples of how thinking at the corners can help boost your PPC performance in the healthcare industry.
Create Visually Appealing Reports With Google Data Studio
When we talk about what tasks tend to eat up a significant chunk of time, reporting is surely mentioned. You may want to explore another option - Google Data Studio.
Liveblogging 2016 DoubleClick Announcements
Today is the day we learn more about the latest DoubleClick updates. Follow along live as we share DoubleClick's announcements as well as our opinions.
The 2016 Top 25 Most Influential PPC Experts
After a month of voting, rigorous research and data analysis, we are excited to announce the wildly anticipated list of the Top 25 Most Influential PPC Experts for 2016.
[New Webinar with AdEspresso!] 4 Effective Strategies for Facebook Lead Gen...
In this new webinar, AdEspresso and Hanapin experts discuss four effective strategies to use Facebook Lead Gen Ads for your business.
PPC Hero Launches New Site!
We're excited to announce the launch of a brand new PPC Hero! We've redesigned the site to be more search friendly with a better navigation system and more opportunity to find the right resources quicker.
How To Get More Out Of Excel Solver
Excel Solver is a fantastic tool, but most examples only cover simple marketing use cases. We’ll cover the next steps of enhancing your models and how to automate the process.