Optimize For Offline Conversions With New AdWords Conversion Import Feature
September 6, 2013
Why hello offline conversions in AdWords, where have you been all my life? Optimizing lead gen accounts in AdWords just got a little sweeter with the release of the new AdWords Conversion Import feature. The Conversion Import feature allows advertisers to track the entire sales cycle from ad click, to offline conversions AND THEN… import these offline conversions back into AdWords via a click id (GCLID) parameter.
Who Should Use This:
Everyone and anyone that manages an AdWords account and tracks some sort of offline conversion event. This could be huge for lead gen clients that want to track if the leads AdWords is bringing in are good quality. eCommerce clients that wants to track if an order was returned after a 30-day period, or maybe they only want to track new clients. There are many ways to get creative and track various types of offline conversion information directly in AdWords.
How it Works:
Once the user has placed an order, closed a deal or converted, that conversion info, GCLID and a few other details about the type of conversion, are then imported back into AdWords. Within about 3 hours from the time of upload, you should be able to see offline conversion data directly in your AdWords account and can optimize to your hearts desire.
How to Set it Up
For step-by-step directions to get started check out this article. Below are the basics to get started:
- Set up imports for Offline Conversion Tracking:
1. Create “Import” conversion type in conversions menu in AdWords account
2. Install new “import” conversion code with GCLID to all pages of your site insert this code at the bottom of every web page, immediately before the closing </body>
- Import Conversions into AdWords:
1. Prepare date for import. Download template (Excel or CSV). Do not delete “Parameter” or “Action” columns. Do not include personal info or additional columns. Adjust columns as specified by AdWords. *See how to import your offline conversions for full instructions.
2. Import Conversions. In AdWords Tools and Analysis > Conversions > Upload button. *once imported there is no “undo” and can’t be deleted from your account.
· Must be able to store GCLID information along with client’s information in offline
lead/order tracking software
· Must enable auto-tagging
· You can make code changes to all of your web pages
· You have a click-to-conversion cycle that is less than 90 days
Phone & CRM Tracking Software Onboard:
Below are links to several companies already integrated with AdWords Conversions Import and a link to a guide that will walk you through the process.
· It takes about 3 hours for your imported conversions statistics to show up in your AdWords account. When they do, they’ll appear in your conversions columns.
· Imported conversions can also use in Bid Automations and Search Funnels.
· You are able to import offline conversions across multiple accounts via the MCC
· Offline tracking does not work for Click-to-call tracking since the user needs to visit the site for the GCLID to fire
One of my fellow Hanapin team members brought up a good question about this new feature “how do you manage initial leads vs. long term leads?” I think this could get a bit tricky but one way you could do this is by going to Segments > Conversions > Conversion action name. This would allow you to see how performance is across the various conversion types you created. I’m sure there will be more to come on this as AdWords continues to develop this feature.
Optimizing your campaigns to include the full sales cycle is key in achieving overall online marketing goals and maximizing revenue. The AdWords Conversion Import feature makes that a little easier. Give this new feature a try and let us know what you think!
[New Webinar!] How Brands Can Effectively Use Display Advertising
In this new live webinar, Hanapin Account Manager Kristin Vick will dive into the meat of Display advertising, revealing tips to use the strategy to its full potential and more specifically target your audiences.
5 Ways To Improve Display Network Performance By Using Layered Targeting
Display campaigns can be difficult when it comes to targeting the right audience. In this post, you will learn 5 ways to improve your Display strategy with multi-layered targeting.
Expanded Text Ads And Other Bing Ads Editor Updates
Pilot access for Expanded Text Ads is now available to Bing Ads users. Get access to the link and learn about other new features in the latest Bing Ads Editor update.
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
Keynotes from Bing & Google + the Hero Conf Advanced Track
Where do you go to get the most relevant information in PPC, plus the opportunity to network with the best and brightest the industry has to offer? Why Hero Conf, of course.
3 Questions You Need To Answer Before Beginning Paid Advertising
So you’ve you decided you want to start PPC advertising, but now you are asking, “Where do I start?” We've listed and answered 3 questions you should be asking.
Road Trip - 5 Tips For Creating International Campaigns
International markets can add complexity to any account, but here are a few settings and opportunities to make your global ad strategy stand out in non-US markets.
Discover 3 Levels Of Geo Targeting For Beginners, Intermediates, & Experts
Setting geographic targets is day one. Whether it’s to exclude places you cannot sell or serve or to specifically target your primary customer base, the implementation of geo-targets is on the must-do list.
[New Webinar!] What You Need To Know About New AdWords Features
In this new live webinar, Hanapin Associate Director of Services Jeff Baum and Optmyzr’s CEO Frederick Vallaeys will walk you through the new AdWords tools and show how you can use them to optimize your accounts.
The Social Strategies You Need To Know For App Promotion
Create social strategies to promote app awareness and leverage geographic and demographic data reported by these platforms to refine audiences.
Guide the Industry and Take the 2016 State of PPC Survey!
Each year, Hanapin Marketing manages extensive research into the State of PPC Report, which provides a statistical breakdown of the digital ad industry and guides expectations.
What's In A Name? Building Powerful Product Titles For Ecommerce
Over the years, we've tested a variety of different product title alterations in hopes of finding the perfect title. Did we? Yes, and no. The fact of the matter is, it depends.
What Upgraded Bing URLs Mean For You
Bing is continuing its effort to catch up with Adwords. Upgraded URLs, which isolate tracking parameters from final URLs, are now available to Bing advertisers.