Facebook Sponsored Stories Sail Into The Sunset
January 15, 2014
Facebook recently mentioned here on their road map that Sponsored Stories will be sunsetted as of April 9th, 2014. The writing was on the walls in June when Facebook mentioned they would be focusing on Social Context for all Facebook ads in the coming months and that would make the popular Sponsored Stories redundant. A recent class action lawsuit probably didn’t help keep the Sponsored Stories from sailing off into Caribbean sunset. That is how I imagine Sponsored Stories, on a little boat sailing off into the sunset to the island of misfit ad programs.
Facebook provided the following statement to Mashable regarding the phasing out of Sponsored Stories.
“As announced in June of last year, we’re bringing the best of sponsored stories — social context — to all ads. Since this update makes sponsored stories redundant, we will no longer offer them as a stand-alone ad unit for marketers. Social context will continue to appear with all ads where eligible. Our social advertising honors the audience that people choose, so nobody will see information in social context for an ad that they couldn’t already see”
What Does This Mean?
- Domain and open graph sponsored stories will no longer be allowed to be created. Existing domain and open graph sponsored stories will cease to have delivery after April 9th.
- Sponsored Stories will be rolled into other Ads – For example after April, a Sponsored Story highlighting a page like will turn into a page liked ads.
- Targeting Changes
- Segments – Facebook provides this example regarding new segmenting “Historically, if you selected “Parents” “Photography” “Photo uploader” within interests, the audience constructed was People who are Parents OR interested in Photography OR people who upload [many] Photos. However, the intended audience was: “Parents, who are interested in photography and upload pictures.” Now, the specific audience will be targeted as intended.”
- Interests – Facebook precise interests such as keyword, #topic & broad interest targeting will be consolidated. For example, targeting keywords “Baseball”, #Baseball will be consolidated into one target interest. The focus will be less on keywords and more on interests.
- Geographic – You will now be able to target just “California” compared to before where you would need to target “US” and “California”
- Test Other Facebook Ad Formats – With sponsored stories out, there should be less clutter and allow for better performance but it will be important to test what format works better for you.
- Social Context is Key – The social aspect of sponsored stories will now be rolled out across all ads on Facebook. Facebook provides this example “stories about social actions your friends have taken, such as liking a page or checking in to a restaurant — is now eligible to appear next to all ads shown to friends on Facebook.“
- Engagement will be more important than ever. With social context added to every ad, it will important to focus on increasing overall engagement with your page to help increase likes and expand your reach.
What Else Can You Do?
- Google+ Shared Endorsements
- Facebook Custom Audiences
- Facebook Lookalike Audiences
- Facebook Category/Interest Ad Targeting
- Facebook Newsfeed Retargeting
Shared Endorsements is Google +’s version of sponsored stories. If Facebook Sponsored Stories performed well for your account, Shared Endorsements might be another opportunity for your program on a smaller scale. We’ve also seen great success with Facebook Newsfeed Retargeting. In one account, we saw 79% lower Cost Per Conversions for Facebook Newsfeed retargeting compared to AdWords. We saw almost identical performance with a Facebook Category & Interest Targeting campaigns. As Social Context is added to all ad formats moving forward, we would expect performance to improve but only time will tell!
Discover 3 Levels Of Geo Targeting For Beginners, Intermediates, & Experts
Setting geographic targets is day one. Whether it’s to exclude places you cannot sell or serve or to specifically target your primary customer base, the implementation of geo-targets is on the must-do list.
[New Webinar!] What You Need To Know About New AdWords Features
In this new live webinar, Hanapin Associate Director of Services Jeff Baum and Optmyzr’s CEO Frederick Vallaeys will walk you through the new AdWords tools and show how you can use them to optimize your accounts.
The Social Strategies You Need To Know For App Promotion
Create social strategies to promote app awareness and leverage geographic and demographic data reported by these platforms to refine audiences.
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
Guide the Industry and Take the 2016 State of PPC Survey!
Each year, Hanapin Marketing manages extensive research into the State of PPC Report, which provides a statistical breakdown of the digital ad industry and guides expectations.
What's In A Name? Building Powerful Product Titles For Ecommerce
Over the years, we've tested a variety of different product title alterations in hopes of finding the perfect title. Did we? Yes, and no. The fact of the matter is, it depends.
What Upgraded Bing URLs Mean For You
Bing is continuing its effort to catch up with Adwords. Upgraded URLs, which isolate tracking parameters from final URLs, are now available to Bing advertisers.
Where Does Your Hero Conf Dollar (or Pound) Go?
5 Common Excel Issues And How To Fix
Excel, while a fabulous tool for PPC, is not without its occasional hang-ups. In this post, we’ll go through some common problems, and how to fix them.
[New Whitepaper!] Guide to Google AdWords: Advanced Edition
In this whitepaper, you will gain a greater understanding of the distinction between e-commerce and lead generation PPC strategies, learn the effective use of Remarketing, how to utilize advanced segmentation for improved targeting, cross-device attribution, and how to use automated rules in your accounts.
Google Announces Controversial Updates To The Keyword Planner Tool
Google updated the AdWords Community on the state of the Keyword Planner tool and the response from several advertisers was quite dramatic.
7 Overlooked Facebook Power Editor Features That Will Save You Time
I will be sharing often overlooked time-saving features for Facebook Power Editor so you can spend more energy on the tactics and strategy.
Ecommerce Secrets with Google, Bing, & Hanapin - New Webinar Panel!
This Thursday, August 18th at noon EST, we'll be hosting a webinar called "Supercharge Holiday Sales With These Must-Have PPC Tactics." Presenters include Carrie Albright, Jose Rodriguez, Purna Virji, and Matt Umbro.
Coming Soon - New Cross-Device Reports And Benchmarks
The traditional marketing funnel that used to be awareness, consideration, and then purchase has almost become obsolete. No longer is the buying cycle a linear path. In fact, it's become necessary to identify the right attribution model for your business.