PLAs on Smartphones: Enhanced Campaigns Impact
Google just announced that PLAs will begin showing on mobile devices globally. If you upgrade to enhanced campaigns, your products will automatically be eligible to display for Smartphones.
Keep in mind that since smartphones by nature have less ad space than desktop, your product ad text will likely be truncated. It will be increasingly important to prioritize the attributes in your feed title. Most feeds have very merchandise heavy language. i.e. Canon – EOS 60D 18.0-Megapixel DSLR Camera with 18-135m.
We recommend changing the merchandise heavy language to more consumer centric language. See below for example of what consumers would see and what we would recommend:
Below is a screenshot of how the experience will look on mobile devices:
The expected impact of Enhanced Campaigns on PLAs are listed below:
- All campaigns will be opted into all devices by default by June 2013, as part of a broader Enhanced Campaigns Auto-Upgrade.
- Mobile upgrades will apply to Max CPC campaigns (max CPA% will not be affected)
- API will be updated with new enhanced campaign settings and fields for mobile bid adjustments
- Not all enhanced campaigns features for text ads will be enabled for Product Listing Ads
There will be certain Enhanced Campaigns features that are available to both Text Ads and Product Listing Ads:
A few of the features on text ads will not be available for product ads as well:
- No mobile specific creative
- No click-to-call
- No proximity bidding
To take advantage of some of the bidding capabilities you will have, make sure to set appropriate bid adjustments for device type, geo-location, and time of day. This will increase the probability of your ads showing for your highest performing target markets.
- Geo-Bids – If you sell surfboards, you may want to bid higher for users in California and Hawaii than users in Nebraska and Alabama.
- Device Bids – If mobile converts lower than desktop, set a % bid decrease for all smartphone users.
- Time of Day Bids – If users on mobile devices convert at a higher rate after work, set an increased bid % during these hours.
Google recommends merging your desktop and mobile PLA campaigns into one campaign to create simplicity in management when upgrading to enhanced campaigns.
There will be a lot more impact on PLAs from the Enhanced Campaigns upgrade so we’ll be sure to keep you posted on how you can best take advantage of these features.
Browse By Category
PPC, KPIs, and the Marketing Funnel
Bidding In A Mobile Centric 2017
Mobile is continuing to dominate digital advertising. With mobile spend rising, start thinking about how to change your mobile bidding method.
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
How to Take Your Retargeting To The Next Level
Get tips on how to take your retargeting to the next level and get more out of your online advertising!
Ask Us Anything About Programmatic!
Hanapin Account Managers Emma Franks and Bryan Gaynor are here to answer ANY and ALL questions you might have about Programmatic. Ask away!
Google To Let Advertisers Use Search Data For YouTube Ad Targeting
As the YouTube viewer increasingly shifts to mobile, Google is actively searching for ways to build solutions to reach customers across screens in more effective ways.