The 25 Most Influential PPC Experts
June 13, 2012
The paid search industry is full of people blogging, tweeting, and sharing PPC wisdom. But which experts are considered the best of the best- when they speak, we listen? We researched over 100 PPC experts to find out who are the most influential and took into consideration social media networks and connections, blog contributions and publications, speaking engagements, etc.- not just the ones with the largest number of Twitter followers or connections, but those who actively engaging the paid search industry through multiple mediums.
The professionals who made it into our top 25 most influential list are knowledgeable in paid search, and share their SEM tips, tricks, and articles through their social networks, blogs, and speaking engagements.
We have been lucky enough to have several of these folks speak at Hero Conf and featured in Heroviews. These 25 experts are people you need to know. You will want to follow them on Twitter, add them to your Google + circles, and subscribe to them on Facebook. Check out their blogs, and see if they’re speaking at a conference near you. These professionals are well-versed in PPC, and not afraid to share their knowledge and findings!
To learn more about the process behind this list, read our methodology post.
Top 25 Most Influential PPC Experts:
1.) Bryan Eisenberg
- Follow on Twitter @TheGrok
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/bryan.eisenberg
- Blog: www.bryaneisenberg.com
Bryan Eisenberg impressed us with his visibility in every single medium that we looked at. He keeps active professional profiles on Facebook, LinkedIn, Google +, and Twitter, sharing SEM tips and articles with his followers. Bryan is a best-selling author and speaks at a large number of conferences around the world. Look Bryan up on YouTube, and you can watch dozens of his interviews, speeches, and SEM tips. He has co-authored several books, and is an advisory board member of several organizations including Search Engine Strategies, the eMetrics Marketing Optimization Summit, and BoostCTR. Bryan has an incredible presence in the SEM industry, and highly deserves our title for him: Most Influential PPC Expert.
2.) Danny Sullivan
- Follow on Twitter @dannysullivan
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/dannysullivan
- Blogs: http://daggle.com, http://searchengineland.com
Danny Sullivan has a staggering number of followers in multiple mediums. Of all the PPC experts we looked at, he has by far the largest number of Twitter followers or Google + circle followers. There’s even a Wikipedia page about Danny! He is the Editor-in-Chief of Search Engine Land, produces the Search Marketing Expo series, and is a sought-after SEM speaker.
3.) Marty Weintraub
- Follow on Twitter @aimclear
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/marty.weintraub
- Blogs: www.aimclearblog.com, Search Engine Watch, Search Engine Land
Marty Weintraub has done a great job of establishing himself as an influential PPC expert through his international speaking engagements and active blog writing, which extends beyond his company blog to additional Internet publications such as Search Engine Watch and Search Engine Land. He maintains professional profiles on all of the social networks we examined, and still has found the time to author “Killer Facebook Ads” (Wiley/Sybex 2011) and run his Online Marketing Agency, aimClear.
4.) Joanna Lord
- Follow on Twitter @JoannaLord
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/joanna.lord
- Blogs: Joannalord.com, www.seomoz.org/blog
Joanna Lord describes herself as a PPC expert, social media enthusiast, blogger, and coffee drinker. It’s no surprise then that she is one of the most influential PPC experts out there! Joanna has thousands of fans who loyally follow her on Twitter, add her to their circles on Google +, and befriend her on Facebook. She is an acclaimed speaker, and writes both on her personal blog as well as on the SEOmoz blog.
5.) Tim Ash
- Follow on Twitter @tim_ash
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/tim.ash1
- Blogs: Search Engine Watch, ClickZ Author
Tim Ash, CEO of SiteTuners.com, is well-known as a speaker, author, and entrepreneur. He is the Founder and Chair of Conversion Conference, and has written on ClickZ, Search Engine Watch, and other popular publications. Tim hosts a Landing Page Optimization podcast on WebMasterRadio.fm, and keeps up his social networks with active professional profiles on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
6.) Dennis Yu
- Follow on Twitter @dennisyu
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/dennisyu
- Blog: www.dennis-yu.com
7.) Jeff Ferguson
- Follow on Twitter @CountXero, @FangDigital, @dead_tree_media
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/countxero
- Blogs: http://deadtreemedia.com, http://fangdigital.com/blog/
8.) Brad Geddes
- Follow on Twitter @bgtheory
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/ewhisper
- Blog: http://certifiedknowledge.org/blog/
9.) Kevin Lee
- Follow on Twitter @Kevin_Lee_QED
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/Kevin.Lee.QED
- Blogs: www.kevinlee.net, ClickZ
10.) John Rampton
- Follow on Twitter @JSRampton
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/johnrampton
- Blogs: http://ppc.org, Search Engine Watch
11.) Lisa Raehsler
- Follow on Twitter @lisarocksSEM
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lisa-Raehsler-Search-Engine-Marketing/129818190361903
- Blogs: ClickZ, http://bigclickco.com, Search Marketing Standard
12.) Kent Lewis
- Follow on Twitter @kentlewis
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/kentjlewis
- Blogs: www.imediaconnection.com, www.anvilmediainc.com
13.) David Szetela
- Follow on Twitter @Szetela
- Facebook Profile: Personal
- Blogs: Search Engine Watch, Founded www.clixmarketing.com/blog, and PPC Rockstars
14.) Stefan Weitz
- Follow on Twitter @stefanweitz
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/stefan.weitz
- Blog: http://stefanweitz.wordpress.com
15.) William Leake
- Follow on Twitter @Marketing_Bill
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/william.leake
- Blog: www.apogeeresults.com/blog/
16.) Laura Thieme
17.) David Rodnitzky
- Follow on Twitter @rodnitzky
- Facebook Profile: Personal
- Blogs: www.ppcassociates.com/blog/, http://blogation.net
18.) Frederick Vallaeys
- Follow on Twitter @siliconvallaeys, @fvallaeys
- Facebook Profile: Personal
- Blog: www.siliconvallaeys.com
19.) Andy Atkins-Kruger
- Follow on Twitter @andyatkinskruge
- Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/atkinskrueger
- Blogs: www.multilingual-search.com, Search Engine Land
20.) Noran El-Shinnawy
- Follow on Twitter @noranshinnawy
- Facebook Profile: Personal
- Blogs: www.acquisio.com/blog/, ClickZ, Search Engine Watch
21.) Larry Kim
22.) Rick Galan
23.) Mona Elesseily
24.) Matt Van Wagner
25.) Justin Seibert
Road Trip - 5 Tips For Creating International Campaigns
International markets can add complexity to any account, but here are a few settings and opportunities to make your global ad strategy stand out in non-US markets.
Discover 3 Levels Of Geo Targeting For Beginners, Intermediates, & Experts
Setting geographic targets is day one. Whether it’s to exclude places you cannot sell or serve or to specifically target your primary customer base, the implementation of geo-targets is on the must-do list.
[New Webinar!] What You Need To Know About New AdWords Features
In this new live webinar, Hanapin Associate Director of Services Jeff Baum and Optmyzr’s CEO Frederick Vallaeys will walk you through the new AdWords tools and show how you can use them to optimize your accounts.
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
The Social Strategies You Need To Know For App Promotion
Create social strategies to promote app awareness and leverage geographic and demographic data reported by these platforms to refine audiences.
Guide the Industry and Take the 2016 State of PPC Survey!
Each year, Hanapin Marketing manages extensive research into the State of PPC Report, which provides a statistical breakdown of the digital ad industry and guides expectations.
What's In A Name? Building Powerful Product Titles For Ecommerce
Over the years, we've tested a variety of different product title alterations in hopes of finding the perfect title. Did we? Yes, and no. The fact of the matter is, it depends.
What Upgraded Bing URLs Mean For You
Bing is continuing its effort to catch up with Adwords. Upgraded URLs, which isolate tracking parameters from final URLs, are now available to Bing advertisers.
Where Does Your Hero Conf Dollar (or Pound) Go?
5 Common Excel Issues And How To Fix
Excel, while a fabulous tool for PPC, is not without its occasional hang-ups. In this post, we’ll go through some common problems, and how to fix them.
[New Whitepaper!] Guide to Google AdWords: Advanced Edition
In this whitepaper, you will gain a greater understanding of the distinction between e-commerce and lead generation PPC strategies, learn the effective use of Remarketing, how to utilize advanced segmentation for improved targeting, cross-device attribution, and how to use automated rules in your accounts.
Google Announces Controversial Updates To The Keyword Planner Tool
Google updated the AdWords Community on the state of the Keyword Planner tool and the response from several advertisers was quite dramatic.
7 Overlooked Facebook Power Editor Features That Will Save You Time
I will be sharing often overlooked time-saving features for Facebook Power Editor so you can spend more energy on the tactics and strategy.
Ecommerce Secrets with Google, Bing, & Hanapin - New Webinar Panel!
This Thursday, August 18th at noon EST, we'll be hosting a webinar called "Supercharge Holiday Sales With These Must-Have PPC Tactics." Presenters include Carrie Albright, Jose Rodriguez, Purna Virji, and Matt Umbro.