9 Step Guide to Increasing PPC Sales by 39.4%
July 12, 2012
Recently I had the good fortune to be on ta team that produced quite a turn around for an Ecommerce account. In 1 month sales grew by 39.4%. This was during a time when month-over-month sales trend downwards due to seasonality. Below is a brief summary of our to-do list from that month.
1. Check your funnel to see what percent of cart abandons you have.
- If above 80% abandonment = review checkout process and test alternatives such as reducing steps, removing main navigation from the checkout process, and changing button colors and text.
- If less than 79% abandonment = don’t worry about it, for now.
2. Filter your keywords to show all that are 20% below your CPA goal or greater and have converted 3 or more times. Bid them up by 15%.
3. Filter your keywords to show all that are 20% higher than your CPA goal and have converted 3 or more times. Bid them down by 15%. (This won’t grow sales, but will create wiggle room to push sales other places that may convert at goal).
4. Turn CPA optimizer off, and adjust bids based on the following formula (obviously do not change the bids of the keywords you changed in 2 and 3. The easiest way to do all this is in one bid excel doc and using filters):
1 / Keyword CR for last 7 days = Clicks to get 1 close
(CPA goal x 1.10) / Clicks = Max CPC
1 / 3% = 33
($30 x 1.10) / 33 = $1 max CPC
CPA optimizer does something more complicated, but similar. Although this will allow you to insure you push every keyword you want to based on how it is doing for the last 7 days. CPA optimizer often has more lag than that.
5. Add 500 keywords modeled after your top converters. To do this, take your top converters and put them into a handful of keywords tool like Google’s Keyword Tool and Word tracker. It will kick out a handful of relevant keywords that you can put back into the keyword tool and get even more options.
6. If you are only using exact and phrase match keywords, expand to modified broad match. If you are only in broad match keywords, start new campaigns with exact and phrase. Either way, find balance and make sure you’re testing what works best for you.
7. Conclude ad tests and leave your top ads running. Determine your top ads as explained in this post on ad testing. Start running only one ad in each ad group, this top-performing ad.
8. Add remarketing, and bid it high to start. CPA will start poorly but an overall lift will be felt and CPA will drop over time (hopefully).
9. Run a report in Analytics to see if any geo targets provide very high ROAS for you. If they do, break them in to their own campaign and push bids even higher.
That was it. It took about 20 hours worth of work, for a significant lift in leads at a CPA that was below goal.
Expanded Text Ads Come To Google AdWords Editor
Advertisers have been able to create expanded text ads, but couldn't utilize AdWords Editor. That has now changed with the release of the latest version of AdWords Editor.
Bidding Farewell to Adwords Converted Clicks: Don't Panic
AdWords will soon be saying goodbye to the "Converted Clicks" metric. Learn more about what this means for your account and how to prepare for the transition.
Olympic PPC Ad Strategies
How spectators consume sporting events and a massive expansion in the digital space will prove to shake up who and how advertisers reach their audiences.
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
Hanapin's PPC Resources Are Now Ungated!
You can now access Hanapin's whitepapers and toolkits without having to fill out a form!
View Ad Creative Through The Eyes Of Your Searchers
Learn to understand that ads do not live in the vacuum of an excel sheet and common practices should be tested.
[New Webinar!] 11 Red Flags To Watch Out For When Working With An Agency
Leveraging Analytics For Remarketing: Picking The Ripest Fruit
Remarketing prevalence is well founded based on competitive returns in both volume and efficiency. With that said, this "low hanging fruit" world isn't always easy to pick.
How To Analyze Time-Of-Day Performance For Luxury Products
The importance of ad schedules varies across industries, services, and products. For e-commerce companies that sell luxury goods, ad schedules are more crucial.
One Week Left to Save 25% at Hero Conf London!
You still have time to join us for Hero Conf London, 24-26 October at etc.venues St Paul's at 25% off the conference price. But time is running out.
4 Common Questions Prospects Ask Me During The Sales Process
There’s always new, hot topics and questions we get asked by prospects to see what our company’s take is, and how we go about implementing from a services perspective. Read what our most common questions are.
Mobile Price Extensions Rolling Out In AdWords
It looks like "Christmas in July" has come to Google. Recently announced price extensions are designed to help mobile marketers qualify clicks and inform prospective consumers.
[New Whitepaper!] 4 Ways To Survive PPC Campaigns for the Healthcare Market...
This whitepaper will highlight four examples of how thinking at the corners can help boost your PPC performance in the healthcare industry.
Create Visually Appealing Reports With Google Data Studio
When we talk about what tasks tend to eat up a significant chunk of time, reporting is surely mentioned. You may want to explore another option - Google Data Studio.