Breaking! More Click Count PPC Ad Tests In The Wild
October 4, 2011
Today we have a post from one of our PPC Hero allies! James Zolman (@jameszol) is a guest author at PPCHero.com. He is the founder and CEO of QualityScores.com, a quality score analysis, optimization and consulting company. In this post he looks at Google’s use of click data in PPC ads.
It’s not a surprise to hear that Google is testing ad layout, SERPs styles and more but this one caught me by surprise for a number of reasons:
- SearchEngineLand wrote about this in June but I have not seen it surface elsewhere since then and even that post seems to have had little buzz considering the consequences of such a test
- This appears to be in a different location compared to the screenshots in the SEL article
- The text/copy of the click count is slightly different than what is in the SEL article too
- This test adds a huge, obvious line of “copy” to the ad: “6,630 clicks for this search” to the right of the display url
- The number and the word ‘clicks’ are bold but have no relation to the query
- The number of clicks displayed plays heavily toward long term advertisers or old advertiser accounts (maybe)
- The crowd mentality is a huge sales factor and will definitely swing clicks one way or another
And then come the questions about the consequences of such a test:
- Where is the click count coming from…display url, root destination url, destination url as a whole…the whole ad?
- This could be a huge play to improve click through rates but will it improve sales?
- Does this mean that an entire ad should stick around for the long haul if it performs well (if this metric is attached to an ad id)?
I contacted AdWords and here is all they could say about it as of this post:
The experiment that you were asking about, is actually
something that all of our advertisers have been opted into, unless they
requested to be opted out. †However, the reason you are not seeing it that
often is because it only affects each advertiser a very small percent of
the time, and only on a few ads.
I would love to know what you think!
How Should You Use Display Advertising?
We hear similar questions from clients on a regular basis. One question we hear often is “How do your other clients use Display Advertising?”
Expanded Text Ads: 7 Million Clicks Say They’re Underperforming
Over the past 6 weeks, we have been lucky enough to experiment with expanded text ads, and frankly, I’m not impressed with their performance.
£300 Off Hero Conf London Ends Tomorrow!
Time is nearly gone to reserve your seat for Hero Conf London, 24-26 October at etc.venues St Paul’s, at a huge discount off the regular conference rate!
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
Expanded Text Ads Come To Google AdWords Editor
Advertisers have been able to create expanded text ads, but couldn't utilize AdWords Editor. That has now changed with the release of the latest version of AdWords Editor.
Bidding Farewell to Adwords Converted Clicks: Don't Panic
AdWords will soon be saying goodbye to the "Converted Clicks" metric. Learn more about what this means for your account and how to prepare for the transition.
Olympic PPC Ad Strategies
How spectators consume sporting events and a massive expansion in the digital space will prove to shake up who and how advertisers reach their audiences.
Hanapin's PPC Resources Are Now Ungated!
You can now access Hanapin's whitepapers and toolkits without having to fill out a form!
View Ad Creative Through The Eyes Of Your Searchers
Learn to understand that ads do not live in the vacuum of an excel sheet and common practices should be tested.
[New Webinar!] 11 Red Flags To Watch Out For When Working With An Agency
Leveraging Analytics For Remarketing: Picking The Ripest Fruit
Remarketing prevalence is well founded based on competitive returns in both volume and efficiency. With that said, this "low hanging fruit" world isn't always easy to pick.
How To Analyze Time-Of-Day Performance For Luxury Products
The importance of ad schedules varies across industries, services, and products. For e-commerce companies that sell luxury goods, ad schedules are more crucial.
One Week Left to Save 25% at Hero Conf London!
You still have time to join us for Hero Conf London, 24-26 October at etc.venues St Paul's at 25% off the conference price. But time is running out.
4 Common Questions Prospects Ask Me During The Sales Process
There’s always new, hot topics and questions we get asked by prospects to see what our company’s take is, and how we go about implementing from a services perspective. Read what our most common questions are.