Much to the delight of many PPC account managers, Google recently released a new version of Analytics in beta and they’ve been publishing a series of posts outlining the newest features, additions and changes on their Analytics blog to inform users of exactly what the changes are. So far, we’ve heard about changes in custom reports and multi-channel funnels (check out Bethany’s post on how to use those new funnels to your advantage!) and this week, Google is focusing on the new ability to attach multiple AdWords accounts to one Analytics account.
Before this update, it was only possible to have a one-to-one ratio for AdWords to Analytics, making auto-tagging and accurate AdWords reporting in Analytics impossible. Not anymore! Now it’s possible, and even easy, to link multiple AdWords accounts to a single Analytics account. The first step is to make sure you are set as an Administrator for the Analytics account and that you’re using a Google account that is able to access both AdWords and Analytics. The next major step is to give in to the change and switch over from the current default Analytics to the new version. That’s an easy 1,2,3:
- Sign into Google Analytics
- Click ‘New Version’ in the top right corner
- Click ‘Make this version default’ (Don’t skip this step!)
Now you’re ready to link multiple AdWords accounts to Analytics! Follow these steps and you should be on your way!
- Sign in to your AdWords account
- Click on the ‘Reporting and Tools’ tab, choose ‘Google Analytics’
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner, just beneath the green tab bar
- Select ‘All Accounts’ at the top left (blue text just below gray toolbar)
- Click the account to which you want to link the AdWords account
- Once in that account, click the Data Sources tab
- Select the AdWords tab
- Click ‘Link Accounts’ button
So you’re 8 steps away from making your AdWords/Analytics relationship even better! Google also gives directions for this same process, but if you’re linking an Analytics account to an MCC (My Client Center).
Tell PPC Hero what you think! Are you excited to take advantage of this new option or are you going to stick with a one-to-one correlation between the two? Share your thoughts and ideas in the comments section below!
For further information about this topic, check out the following links:
- Linking all of your AdWords accounts to Google Analytics-Google Analytics Blog
- Linking/Unlinking Analytics Accounts and AdWords Accounts-Analytics Help (contains steps for setting up with an MCC!)
Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more news updates from PPC Hero!