Recap of Google's Holiday Shopping Guide 2008 Webinar
September 24, 2008
Recently I listened to the Google Unwrapped holiday webinar called, Make the Most of the Holiday Season. It’s important for me to get a head start for the holiday season in order to generate the most sales possible, and it’s becoming a priority for other internet retailers as well. In this webinar recap I’ll go over some of the 2007 holiday shopping trends, followed by recommendations for the 2008 holiday season.
2007 Holiday Shopping Trends
According to Google, Q4 carries the sales for the rest of the year for most retailers, which makes getting ready for the holiday season bigger than ever. Online sales year over year continue to grow as consumer confidence for online shopping improves. It’s important to make note of a few key days during the holiday season that have been known to top the charts in terms of online sales.
1. Black Friday – (in-store) Friday after Thanksgiving. November 21, 2008
2. Cyber Monday – (online) Monday after Thanksgiving. November 24th, 2008
3. All Mondays during the month of December tend to generate more revenue than other days.
4. First and second week in December are on average highest revenue generating days online.
What to do in 2008
What to do for your PPC ads during the months of November and December 2008:
- Make sure all campaigns and ad groups are on, and bids are set accordingly in order to be in front of potential buyers during these peak times. Google also states that due to the weak economy, consumers are being more selective and is comparison shopping before they make a final decision. Therefore, don’t let these buyers get away from your site and move on to competitors!
- Offer special promotions, discounts, free shipping etc. to get them to return to your site and buy. Google states that consumers are desperate for deals and will be looking for promotions in order to decide on where to buy from.
- You can also submit your products to shopping search engines like Shoping.com, Shopzilla.com & Pricegrabber.com just to name a few. These shopping search engines allow consumers to review prices for a product between multiple companies at the same time. They also factor in shipping costs for each company depending on your zip code.
- Another tactic you can utilize for your PPC ads is Google Checkout. It’s a great way to call attention to your ads over your competitors and allow consumers to checkout quickly and painlessly.
Other shopping trends Google points out:
- Consumers are skimping on certain items in order to spluge on a few pricier favorites.
- They’re planning more in advance to save on gas money – no impluse shopping.
- People are researching online and purchasing offline. One way to offset people researching online but purchasing offline if you don’t have a brick & mortar store is to offer free shipping or online only coupons.
- You can also offer guaranteed delivery dates during the holiday season to make consumers feel more comfortable with buying online so close to the big day.
More PPC tips for the Holiday:
Again, make a note of the busiest online shopping days and print them off, hang them up in your cubicle. Bid higher on these days – make sure you are in front of these consumers, because they will buy from someone, why not you?
Also make sure to monitor your campaign daily budgets and bids. You don’t want your campaigns to be shut off early in the day, but you can’t afford to spend, spend, and spend either. Set your campaign daily budgets to your max and lower bids if you find you’re blowing through your budget too quickly.
|2008 Expected Busiest Shopping Days of Holiday Season||Dates|
Browse By Category
Why Online Polls Are Critical To Understanding Your Users
You may believe polls are just distracting or annoying. Challenge yourself today to learn how polls can be critical in understanding your users.
Faster, Easier Mobile Lead Generation with Social Lead Ads
Explore how lead ads work, what effects they can have on mobile conversion rates and next steps for rolling out campaigns across social channels.
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
What the State of PPC Report Reveals for 2018
This year we had a great turnout of responses and some mind-blowing insights to share with you. Join Hanapin's President Jeff Allen as he walks through what we found in our State of PPC Report for 2017-2018 and where the industry is going.
Bing Ads Content Data To Be Deleted
Bing Ads is Deleting Content Data. What you should know and do before-hand.
What Will 2018 Hold for Social?
In this webinar, join AdStage’s JD Prater and Hanapin’s Steve Burnett as they look into the next year and show you what to look forward to in the social advertising world.