Keep Your AdWords Account Safe: Don't Fall For Phishing!
May 28, 2008
Recently, there have been reports that AdWords users have received fraudulent emails that appear to be from Google – but they are not. These fraudulent emails (otherwise known as “phishing emails”) ask users to update their billing information, edit their account information, review a disapproved ad, or accept new AdWords terms and conditions. Please be mindful of these fake emails, and as my Google Adwords representative has said, “Please remember that Google’s AdWords team will never send an unsolicited message asking for your password or other sensitive information by email or through a link.”
You can identify the fraudulent emails because they will come from this address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Edit: Thanks to one of our fantastic readers, they pointed out that your daily reports come from this email. So, the emails even come from an apparent “valid” address, but don’t be tricked; Google will never send you an email to ask for information.
Also, my Google respentative provided a helpful list of tips for avoiding phishing scams in general, and I thought I’d share them with you:
Tips on how to avoid phishing:
- Don’t reply to or click on links in emails that ask for personal, financial, or account information.
- Check the message headers. The From: address and the Return-path should reference the same source.
- Instead of clicking the links in emails, go to the websites directly by typing the web address into your browser, cut and paste or use bookmarks.
- If on a secure page, look for “https” at the beginning of the URL and the padlock icon in the browser.
- Keep your computer’s antivirus, spyware, browser, and security patches up to date and regularly run system scans.
- Review your accounts regularly and check for unauthorized activity.
- Use a browser that has a phishing filter (Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Opera).
For further reading on these phishing emails, you can check out this helpful post over at Google’s blog.
Browse By Category
The Rise of The No-Click Search Results
Searching for answers and data has never been easier thanks to the help of search engines. Here we’ll discuss the effect that no-click cost is having on ppc, including the growing popularity of voice search.
Becoming Allies With The Sales Team: A Lead Gen Solution
Collaborating with your client’s sales team can provide a treasure trove of insights. Explore how PPC tactics are utilized to help shorten the sales cycle and improve close rates!
The Opportunities Tab: AdWords vs Bing, A Friendly Match-Up
Dive into AdWords and Bing opportunities tabs and see how they compare. This includes accessibility, features, and performance insights.
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
How to Drive Calls that Actually Convert
Our experts are here to explain how gaining call tracking data can help you close the gap in your customer journey and tailor their experience so they actually convert.
New Facebook Analytics Updates from F8
Learn about journeys and automated insights, new tools announced at Facebook's F8 conference for the Facebook Analytics tool.
Spotify Advertising: The Why and How
This blog post gives you the rundown on Spotify, including why and how you might advertise on Spotify's new self-serve ad platform, Ad Studio.