5 Tips That Will Make Bulk Uploading into MSN AdCenter Headache Free
January 18, 2008
The ability to bulk edit your pay-per-click accounts varies between search engines. As usual, Google has the best system. Their AdWords Editor is fast, efficient and easy-to-use. However, Yahoo and MSN AdCenter also have bulk editing options, but theirs aren’t as elegant as Google’s. I was recently using MSN’s bulk upload feature and found a few quirks in the system. I thought I’d share these quirks to save you some time and many headaches.
First, a quick run down on how to use MSN’s bulk upload feature. This feature allows you to upload numerous changes into your account, as well as import campaigns from other search engines (Google or Yahoo). Here are the basic steps to uploading information into MSN AdCenter:
- Download MSN’s template (in CSV format). You can acquire the template within the ‘Campaigns’ section of your account. Just click on ‘Import Campaigns’ and the template is available to download.
- Enter your data into the spreadsheet (keywords, bids, ad texts, etc.).
- Within the ‘Import Campaigns’ tab, you can upload the CSV/Excel document into your account.
And it’s just that easy! Well, almost. Actually, when you don’t have any errors within your upload, this tool works very well. Recently, I spent most of an afternoon importing information into MSN and here is a laundry list of things to watch for when you’re using this feature:
- Make sure to use MSN’s template and that your columns are in proper order. If you have any columns out of place, or if you’ve deleted any columns, your upload won’t work.
- Be sure to have every column populated (with one exception: the ‘keyword destination URL’ column doesn’t need to be filled).
- Don’t try to add negative keywords through the import feature. In the ‘keyword matching’ field I marked certain keywords ‘negative’ but they were all uploaded as broad match. This happened with every file I imported. Just add your negative keywords within the AdCenter interface.
- Use Internet Explorer to upload your CSV/Excel files, not FireFox (or any other web browser). This is huge! I had all of my columns in the proper order, and all of my cells were populated, but I still couldn’t upload the file. I called customer service to figure out what was going on and the first question the customer rep asked was if I was using FireFox (of course I was!), and she said to use IE. Once I made this switch the import feature worked like a charm!
- The new campaigns you import will be set geographically to ‘Entire Network.’ Unless you want to target every country in the MSN AdCenter network (and there are a lot of them) you’ll want to edit this option to target the countries that are appropriate for your campaign.
All-in-all, MSN AdCenter’s import feature works well once you know the little things that can trip you up. Hopefully these tips will help you upload information faster and with fewer headaches!
Browse By Category
A Buyer Persona Based Approach to Mapping Your Customer Journey
Explore how a persona-based approach is used to enhance customer experience, improve targeting accuracy, and harness behavioral analytics to their business objectives.
The Rise of The No-Click Search Results
Searching for answers and data has never been easier thanks to the help of search engines. Here we’ll discuss the effect that no-click cost is having on ppc, including the growing popularity of voice search.
Becoming Allies With The Sales Team: A Lead Gen Solution
Collaborating with your client’s sales team can provide a treasure trove of insights. Explore how PPC tactics are utilized to help shorten the sales cycle and improve close rates!
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
The Opportunities Tab: AdWords vs Bing, A Friendly Match-Up
Dive into AdWords and Bing opportunities tabs and see how they compare. This includes accessibility, features, and performance insights.
How to Drive Calls that Actually Convert
Our experts are here to explain how gaining call tracking data can help you close the gap in your customer journey and tailor their experience so they actually convert.
New Facebook Analytics Updates from F8
Learn about journeys and automated insights, new tools announced at Facebook's F8 conference for the Facebook Analytics tool.