Today we have a post from one of our PPC Hero allies! James Zolman (@jameszol) is a guest author at PPCHero.com. He is the founder and CEO of QualityScores.com, a quality score analysis, optimization and consulting company. In this post he looks at Google’s use of click data in PPC ads.
It’s not a surprise to hear that Google is testing ad layout, SERPs styles and more but this one caught me by surprise for a number of reasons:
- SearchEngineLand wrote about this in June but I have not seen it surface elsewhere since then and even that post seems to have had little buzz considering the consequences of such a test
- This appears to be in a different location compared to the screenshots in the SEL article
- The text/copy of the click count is slightly different than what is in the SEL article too
- This test adds a huge, obvious line of “copy” to the ad: “6,630 clicks for this search” to the right of the display url
- The number and the word ‘clicks’ are bold but have no relation to the query
- The number of clicks displayed plays heavily toward long term advertisers or old advertiser accounts (maybe)
- The crowd mentality is a huge sales factor and will definitely swing clicks one way or another
And then come the questions about the consequences of such a test:
- Where is the click count coming from…display url, root destination url, destination url as a whole…the whole ad?
- This could be a huge play to improve click through rates but will it improve sales?
- Does this mean that an entire ad should stick around for the long haul if it performs well (if this metric is attached to an ad id)?
I contacted AdWords and here is all they could say about it as of this post:
The experiment that you were asking about, is actually
something that all of our advertisers have been opted into, unless they
requested to be opted out. †However, the reason you are not seeing it that
often is because it only affects each advertiser a very small percent of
the time, and only on a few ads.
I would love to know what you think!
Browse By Category
The PPC Newsflash: Take Advantage of the New Google Text Ad Changes
In this podcast, Hanapin experts Matt Umbro and Jeff Allen discuss the new Google Ads update, how it will affect the PPC industry, and give you ways you can take advantage of this extra ad space.
LinkedIn Ads: How Videos are Performing
LinkedIn’s release of video ads gives advertisers an opportunity to test the informational power of video in a B2B focused environment.
Amazon Updates Seller Central & AMS Campaign Manager Features
Amazon is back at it again with more updates to the campaign manager on both the Seller Central advertising platform and Vendor Central AMS platform.
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
The PPC Newsflash: Exclude Your Ads from Mobile Apps in the GDN
When we heard the news about the targeting changes, our analysts got to work...and we have a solution!
The Missing Ingredient to Your PPC Strategy: Non-Branded Campaigns
Learn how to employ a non-branded campaign strategy that will increase traffic, capture new customers, and beat the competition.
Is AI the Secret to Google Ads Success?
Stay in the running with your competitors on Google Ads, but don't stop there! Conquer them!
Load More »