Facebook Ad Reboot
October 11, 2011
So I thought it would be fun to actually re-write an ad, rather than just comment or critique existing ads — show you how I might do it different, or at least what variations I’d consider worth testing. So let’s start with this not-so-interesting ad I found for a rather interesting product:
1) The headline is lame. I bet they could easily test your way to a far more intriguing headline
2) The picture makes good use of the Billboard strategy, but makes crappy use of space for the image
3) The first line of copy is nothing but a collection of less-than-credible, self-applied labels.
And here’s how I’d suggest you change those elements to create a worthwhile split test:
1) I’d steel the “Start Chillin’ from the inside” line from the end of the ad and use it for a headline. Only problem is it’s 5 characters too long. so let’s drop the “Start” and add a question mark: “Chillin’ From the Inside?”
2) Let’s flip the bottle so we can take advantage of the wide-screen picture format to show more of the icicle inside the bottle. This not only shows the product more clearly, but the horizontal bottle points to the ad text, directing the eyes of the viewer where we want them to go.
3) Cut the first line of copy and go with shorter copy length. Or add in a final “See what the critics are saying” CTA.
So here’s what you end up with
So what about you, what might you recommend for a test? Let me know your ideas in the comments section.
Browse By Category
Spotify Advertising: The Why and How
This blog post gives you the rundown on Spotify, including why and how you might advertise on Spotify's new self-serve ad platform, Ad Studio.
5 Facebook Ad Settings to Audit In Your Account
5 Easy settings to audit in your Facebook Ads account to improve performance and understand website traffic.
Analyzing the AdWords Distance Report
The distance report provides a unique view of your geographic data. The report helps users understand how distance from a location impacts search ad performance.
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
How to Master Attribution for Easy Budget Planning
In this webinar, Hanapin’s Cassie Oumedian and Google’s Julia Meter will provide tips on using AdWords attribution to directionally decide where you should allocate your budget, and how you can use the changing industry to your advantage.
Competitive Device Trends: An In-Depth Analysis
Explore how to pull a templated report that includes both device analysis and auction insights competitor data as well as recommendations!
AdWords Interface Updating By End of 2018
By the end of 2018, the old AdWords interface will be replaced by the new AdWords Experience permanently. The exact date of the transition is up for debate but it is expected to come as early as October, if not earlier in the year.