EXCELlent Series: Making Excel Subtotals Work For You
June 23, 2011
This week, we have been discussing a few of the ways in which Excel, that terrible and wonderful entity which tends to find its way into every search marketer’s daily life, can be harnessed to help you boost PPC performance.
On Tuesday, Jessica C expanded on her list of Excel Tips for PPC Managers. Yesterday Bethany described how to use Excel to project PPC account performance. Today we’ll discuss one of the more useful functions which can be used across multiple data types- “subtotal”, which is simple, but much more powerful than its simplicity suggests.
With slight process modifications, you can apply the subtotal feature to analyze many types of data, including:
- Overall performance of a given landing page- from keyword or ad data, depending on the level from which you deliver destination URLs – example below (note: of course this doesn’t really account for the ad text-landing page relationship so be cautious when applying it, and if a parameter in your destination URL changes the landing page in some way, you can’t remove it, and if you are doing multivariate testing in which the URL does not change based on page content, you can’t use this method at all)
- Performance of all keywords in any given position or range of positions
- Full-account performance on mobile or tablets
- Performance across all display network appearances for a particular domain – example below
- Total spend of all search queries containing the word “cows” (note: requires filtering and find-replace before subtotaling)
- Although these examples all involve AdWords data, the same principles can be applied to any spreadsheetable data from Analytics
Destination URL parameter removal and subtotaling:
Placement report subtotaling:
AdWords and Google Analytics by themselves offer a huge number of very useful reporting functions, but using their internal capabilities in conjunction with Excel can increase your ability to analyze relevant data. The list of possible applications is really only limited by your creativity in Excel data manipulation- if you have any fun uses, let us know so that others can benefit!
Browse By Category
The Hero Conf Difference
Of the 50+ search and social conferences you can choose from, we're here to show you why Hero Conf is a can't miss event for busy digital marketers like you.
Improve Your Facebook Ads With Creative Hub and Split Testing
With the updates to Creative Hub and the Split Test feature, one can now institute a basic ad creation and testing process directly within Facebook.
Work Habits & Resources for the Stressed-Out PPC Manager
Feeling a bit stressed this holiday season? Get tips and resources that will help you become more efficient and alleviate stress!
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
A 180 of Google Analytics 360
The enterprise version of Google Analytics offers several paid search perks including, advanced data integrity, integrations and reporting.
It's Not a Circus, it's an Excel Extravaganza!
We’re celebrating a week of Excel, an essential tool in any PPC marketer’s life. In these webinars, Hanapin experts will offer up tools and functions that can make your job easier and more efficient.