Morning Clicks: Amazon Making Push in Paid Search, More on Close Variants
August 27, 2014
Morning Clicks is your mid-week roundup of digital advertising news and notes. We’re your one-stop shop for the most relevant and important news in the PPC world. Grab your cup of joe and come see us every Wednesday morning.
Last week the big discussion across the PPC world was on Google’s decision to make close variants mandatory for Exact Match keywords.
Hanapin Marketing Associate Director, Sam Owen, wrote about The Real Impact of AdWords Close Variant Changes. While the team at Hanapin also did a round table on the different thoughts around the company on Google’s big change. Matt Umbro wrote on what he thought about Google’s decision in this post:
- Google may not care about the opinions of people in the industry on this matter. However, Bing responded to people with the same thoughts as Senior Account Manager, Matt Umbro, as Bing launched a close variants test for users, but with an option to opt out [Search Engine Land].
- Google also launched App Promotions on Google Search and YouTube last week [Wordstream].
- The response from Bing on this launch? They have had similar features since March, and will continue investing in Windows App Linking [Search Engine Land].
- Google also added a feature allowing users to optimize leads based on higher valued conversions this past week [PPC Hero].
- It is always impressive when a person can switch from using one language to using another on a dime. Google’s Search App now has the ability to easily switch languages when detecting voices in it’s voice search feature [Search Engine Watch].
- Bing is trying to play catch-up with their map features. As they added street side and 3D view for more than 100 cities. [Search Engine Watch].
- Speaking of all this competition between Bing and Google, they might both be in trouble. As Amazon is making a push to compete in the Paid Ad field [Wall Street Journal].
- In an attempt to outperform Google Ads, Amazon will use shopping data to help deliver relevant ads to users. [Venture Beat].
This has the PPC world buzzing about a more competitive landscape in Paid Search.
- To add to the push, Amazon has bought a video service platform, Twitch, some say in hopes that they can eventually compete with YouTube [Ad Age].
Look at the price Amazon is willing to pay in order to get into the video market:
One thing is for certain the competition in the Paid Search industry is heating up, and this competition should help advertisers get their products out to targeted customers.
Latest From PPC Hero:
- PPC Hero and Account Manager Matt Umbro interviewed Brad Geddes and got his thoughts on where the industry has gone since he began working in Paid Search.
- Cassie Oumedian gave companies 5 Items to See If Your Agency Is On Top of Things.
- Cassie also gave a post on how to understand multi-channel attribution.
- Carrie Albright, Account Manager at Hanapin Marketing, taught readers how to easily predict future performance of their PPC account.
Browse By Category
The Advertising Principles That Guide Facebook's Decisions
Facebook highlights the advertising principles that guide their decision making in response to recent events.
Smart Ways to Get More Marketing Budget and Better Tools
In this new live webinar, Kristin Vick from Hanapin Marketing and Jeff Sauer from Jeffalytics discuss how marketers can ensure they have the budget they need to be effective with online advertising and get the right tools to make that argument.
The Hero Conf Difference
Of the 50+ search and social conferences you can choose from, we're here to show you why Hero Conf is a can't miss event for busy digital marketers like you.
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
Improve Your Facebook Ads With Creative Hub and Split Testing
With the updates to Creative Hub and the Split Test feature, one can now institute a basic ad creation and testing process directly within Facebook.
Work Habits & Resources for the Stressed-Out PPC Manager
Feeling a bit stressed this holiday season? Get tips and resources that will help you become more efficient and alleviate stress!
A 180 of Google Analytics 360
The enterprise version of Google Analytics offers several paid search perks including, advanced data integrity, integrations and reporting.