Morning Clicks: Amazon Making Push in Paid Search, More on Close Variants
August 27, 2014
Morning Clicks is your mid-week roundup of digital advertising news and notes. We’re your one-stop shop for the most relevant and important news in the PPC world. Grab your cup of joe and come see us every Wednesday morning.
Last week the big discussion across the PPC world was on Google’s decision to make close variants mandatory for Exact Match keywords.
Hanapin Marketing Associate Director, Sam Owen, wrote about The Real Impact of AdWords Close Variant Changes. While the team at Hanapin also did a round table on the different thoughts around the company on Google’s big change. Matt Umbro wrote on what he thought about Google’s decision in this post:
- Google may not care about the opinions of people in the industry on this matter. However, Bing responded to people with the same thoughts as Senior Account Manager, Matt Umbro, as Bing launched a close variants test for users, but with an option to opt out [Search Engine Land].
- Google also launched App Promotions on Google Search and YouTube last week [Wordstream].
- The response from Bing on this launch? They have had similar features since March, and will continue investing in Windows App Linking [Search Engine Land].
- Google also added a feature allowing users to optimize leads based on higher valued conversions this past week [PPC Hero].
- It is always impressive when a person can switch from using one language to using another on a dime. Google’s Search App now has the ability to easily switch languages when detecting voices in it’s voice search feature [Search Engine Watch].
- Bing is trying to play catch-up with their map features. As they added street side and 3D view for more than 100 cities. [Search Engine Watch].
- Speaking of all this competition between Bing and Google, they might both be in trouble. As Amazon is making a push to compete in the Paid Ad field [Wall Street Journal].
- In an attempt to outperform Google Ads, Amazon will use shopping data to help deliver relevant ads to users. [Venture Beat].
This has the PPC world buzzing about a more competitive landscape in Paid Search.
- To add to the push, Amazon has bought a video service platform, Twitch, some say in hopes that they can eventually compete with YouTube [Ad Age].
Look at the price Amazon is willing to pay in order to get into the video market:
One thing is for certain the competition in the Paid Search industry is heating up, and this competition should help advertisers get their products out to targeted customers.
Latest From PPC Hero:
- PPC Hero and Account Manager Matt Umbro interviewed Brad Geddes and got his thoughts on where the industry has gone since he began working in Paid Search.
- Cassie Oumedian gave companies 5 Items to See If Your Agency Is On Top of Things.
- Cassie also gave a post on how to understand multi-channel attribution.
- Carrie Albright, Account Manager at Hanapin Marketing, taught readers how to easily predict future performance of their PPC account.
Browse By Category
A Buyer Persona Based Approach to Mapping Your Customer Journey
Explore how a persona-based approach is used to enhance customer experience, improve targeting accuracy, and harness behavioral analytics to their business objectives.
The Rise of The No-Click Search Results
Searching for answers and data has never been easier thanks to the help of search engines. Here we’ll discuss the effect that no-click cost is having on ppc, including the growing popularity of voice search.
Becoming Allies With The Sales Team: A Lead Gen Solution
Collaborating with your client’s sales team can provide a treasure trove of insights. Explore how PPC tactics are utilized to help shorten the sales cycle and improve close rates!
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
The Opportunities Tab: AdWords vs Bing, A Friendly Match-Up
Dive into AdWords and Bing opportunities tabs and see how they compare. This includes accessibility, features, and performance insights.
How to Drive Calls that Actually Convert
Our experts are here to explain how gaining call tracking data can help you close the gap in your customer journey and tailor their experience so they actually convert.
New Facebook Analytics Updates from F8
Learn about journeys and automated insights, new tools announced at Facebook's F8 conference for the Facebook Analytics tool.