Putting The Focus On Conversion Rate Optimization
January 21, 2015
In the State of Paid Search, we get to look at how paid search is performing and how it’s progressing. There are areas where focus will either stay the same, increase, or decrease. An area that’s increasing is conversion rate optimization (CRO). The focus on CRO will increase by 79% in the coming year. With that in mind, let’s take a look at CRO, why it’s important to use, best practices used by Hanapin, and the tools we use.
Conversion rate optimization focuses on altering aspects of landing pages to increase the rate of a visitor converting. Whether it’s changing the color of a button or testing headlines to match the PPC ad, there are tools to measure these conversions. With that data, we can implement the changes on the landing pages to increase conversion rate. Once that new change is implemented, testing another element of the page often becomes a best practice.
Below are a few best practices of CRO:
- Intention of Change – It becomes important to change an element on a page for a reason. What will be more appealing to the consumer? Are the colors clashing or working well together? These are just a few questions to ask when coming up with ideas on what to test.
- Test, Test, Test – Did I say test? When we’re able to track the behavior of visitors on a site, we can see which change was more successful. Continually testing will help in finding our optimal conversion rate. Also, give your test some time to gain significance.
- One Change at a Time – When we’re looking at what element to change and test, it becomes important to keep it to a minimum. If we have multiple changes on the same landing page, we might not know which element actually enforced the change in visitor behavior.
- Reporting – Data is only as good as it’s reported. If we can’t clearly communicate the data with the client, it won’t be as useful in explaining why we should implement the changes. Reporting with screen shots of the tests themselves becomes helpful for the client to visually see the changes and approve.
- Implementation – Once a winner is declared, implementation is the next hurdle. While we know our clients and their IT departments are quite busy, we still want them to implement these changes so they become permanent on their site. Sending over exact instructions on how to implement these changes is a great resource for our clients to make implementation easier and faster.
Our Hanapin CRO team uses quite a few different software programs to help us create these landing page tests and implement the changes we want to see. We also use a few programs for user feedback to get more of an unbiased opinion on our pages and if the changes would be effective or not. Below are a few of the larger programs we use.
We use this program to test user behavior and preferences. We’re able to get results and responses, sometimes demographically, to help us decide what would be worthwhile testing.
This program provides us with heatmaps and clickmaps, additional resources to measure behavior of visitors once they visit our site. How far are they scrolling down? Are they trying to click on text or an image that isn’t a link? Just a few examples of insights we receive from using CrazyEgg.
We use Optimizely primarily for editing our clients’ websites and implementing the changes we put together. After, we’re able to set up tests through Optimizely and view results.
Unbounce gives us the ability to create landing pages that align with the overall branding of the client. If the client doesn’t have the capability to provide us with these types of pages, we can utilize Unbounce and implement our own landing pages.
The tools listed above along with our CRO best practices provides our clients a thorough and perhaps new look at what their site could do better and how it’s communicating a message. By aligning with our paid search efforts, CRO has helped conversion rates overall and has provided new insights to our clients and their other marketing efforts.
Browse By Category
The Rise of The No-Click Search Results
Searching for answers and data has never been easier thanks to the help of search engines. Here we’ll discuss the effect that no-click cost is having on ppc, including the growing popularity of voice search.
Becoming Allies With The Sales Team: A Lead Gen Solution
Collaborating with your client’s sales team can provide a treasure trove of insights. Explore how PPC tactics are utilized to help shorten the sales cycle and improve close rates!
The Opportunities Tab: AdWords vs Bing, A Friendly Match-Up
Dive into AdWords and Bing opportunities tabs and see how they compare. This includes accessibility, features, and performance insights.
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
How to Drive Calls that Actually Convert
Our experts are here to explain how gaining call tracking data can help you close the gap in your customer journey and tailor their experience so they actually convert.
New Facebook Analytics Updates from F8
Learn about journeys and automated insights, new tools announced at Facebook's F8 conference for the Facebook Analytics tool.
Spotify Advertising: The Why and How
This blog post gives you the rundown on Spotify, including why and how you might advertise on Spotify's new self-serve ad platform, Ad Studio.