Scaling AdWords and Bing Accounts
May 8, 2014
One of the hardest thing to do in the PPC biz is scale accounts that already perform well and have history. I believe this is because we focus on small optimizations and lose sight of the enhancements that will catapult the account.
This applies to the business as a whole. Sometimes I focus on one or two things we do that I don’t like, instead of the 1 or 2 things we aren’t doing that would revolutionize our business.
I’ve turned to the 80/20 Manager (which I’ve referenced many times in the past) for a reminder in how to prioritize correctly. For those who don’t know, the 80/20 rule states that 80 percent of your results come from 20 percent of your effort, and that 80 percent of your effort will lead to only 20 percent of your results.
This time through the book, the lesson that resonated with me is that this doesn’t mean some things are 4 times more effective than others (80% instead of 20%), but rather that some things are 16 times more effective! Here’s the math using a simple example.
If there are 100 tactics, or activities, that drive 100% of your leads, 20% of those will drive 80% of the result, while the remaining 80% of the activities will drive only 20% of the result. If you assume the tasks in each of these groups contributes equally to their share of the result, that means:
20 leads / 80 activities = .25 leads per activity
80 leads / 20 activities = 4 leads per activity
.25 goes into 4 16 times; activities that generate 80% of your results actually have 16x the impact of those that drive the other 20%.
Does this change anything? For me it does. When I think through an account, I don’t think about what would drive 4x the impact. I think about what will likely drive 16x the impact. That’s a big number. Simply adding negative keywords isn’t going to drive 16 times more cost savings than pausing one or two ad groups that waste a lot of money (even though they get a few conversions).
By that same token, adding a few keywords isn’t likely to drive 16 times more leads than launching an entirely new search engine.
A lot of small stuff will get missed in the application of the 80/20 principle. A lot of little things that do impact an account on a smaller level will be overlooked. Many opportunities to drive a few more leads will remain untended. But your account will scale by leaps and bounds.
*Edited by Kevin Klein
Browse By Category
Personalized Training to Become a PPC Superhero
If you could divulge your biggest challenges in paid search advertising to an expert who is highly revered by industry peers, approved by 15 US & UK agency leaders, and a driving force in PPC innovation, would you?
Leveraging Custom Intent Audiences on YouTube
Google recently announced the addition of custom intent audiences for YouTube. Structure audiences & content to build goodwill with your prospects!
My Top Failures as a PPC Account Manager
Explore Will Larcom's 5 biggest shortcomings as an Account Manager and the takeaways unearthed by being able to identify them!
A bi-weekly newsletter packed full of resources and strategies that will help make you a better PPC expert.
Hanapin Marketing | The PPC Agency of Experts Behind PPC Hero
Why You Should Test Target ROAS Bidding for Shopping Campaigns
The case for testing Target ROAS bidding for AdWords shopping campaigns, plus tips on how to successfully set up such a test.
10 New Ways to Optimize Paid Search with Call Intelligence
Mobile search drives billions of calls to business each year, and calls convert at a higher rate than digital leads. When properly optimized, calls can have a transformational impact on your bottom line. Join this webinar to learn tactical tips and smart strategies to boost...
Google Adds New Tools to Highlight Physical Store Locations
Buying in-store is still a big deal for shoppers, and Google has announced a few new tools to let physical retailers target those shoppers heading in stores.
Load More »